Understanding Linux port addressing
wa4rg-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 13:33:22 UTC
I am a newbie to Linux, I've been operating all the digital modes for years and have always been able to configure windows to communicate with the rigs.....under linux I am clueless and would appreciate if someone could turn me on to where I could read up on this issue. I have several computers and several radios and I'm taking this one step at a time.

The first issue I want to resolve is keying an FT-817 via a true serial port (com 1). I'm running Ubuntu 14.04...Initially I had no receive audio but installed Pulse and now I have plenty of signals on the waterfall. Under Windows I key the rig by selecting Com 1 DTR/RTS. Not being familiar with Linux when I bring up the list of ports it all looks very cryptic, what is the Linux equivalent of Com 1 DTR/RTS, and do I have to go to terminal and enable the port somehow or do I need to load another application?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

v/r
Rick Gunderman - WA4RG
***@gmail.com mailto:***@gmail.com
Steve K0STK k0stk-WYrOkVUspZo@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 14:16:23 UTC
Post by wa4rg-/***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
Under Windows I key the rig by selecting Com 1 DTR/RTS. Not being
familiar with Linux when I bring up the list of ports it all looks very
cryptic, what is the Linux equivalent of Com 1 DTR/RTS,
real serial port: /dev/ttyS0

USB serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0
--
73, Steve K0STK // k0stk-***@public.gmane.org

------------------------------------
Posted by: Steve K0STK <k0stk-***@public.gmane.org>
------------------------------------
Jeff Francis™ jeff-CDdbmnNP9qodnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 15:01:45 UTC
You'll also occasionally see USB serial ports show up as /dev/ttyACM0
(ACM1, ACM2, etc). They technically shouldn't (as these are reserved for
modems), but they do.

Jeff N0GQ
-=jeff=-
Ed autek-Wuw85uim5zDR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 14:29:49 UTC
[...]
https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/html/index.html

These are 2 good places to start.

There several free or low priced books you can download and read.

Ed W3NR

------------------------------------
Posted by: Ed <autek-***@public.gmane.org>
------------------------------------
Ken wa8jxm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 15:46:54 UTC
Post by Ed autek-***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
These are 2 good places to start.
There several free or low priced books you can download and read.
That's somewhat funny....and somewhat sad. I have a bunch of books on Linux. Rarely do they reflect what's on my machine. And, of course, even more rarely do they reflect issues like getting unique ham radio applications to talk to a transceiver.

"Read a book" isn't really helpful to a newcomer wanting to get a ham application running under Linux. It is, however, a great way to chase them back to microslop.

However, if you do know of some books that would be directly helpful in the ham radio configuration of Linux, I'd love to hear what they are! What books discuss USB serial port enumeration and how to associate that with what ham apps are looking for?

Ken WA8JXM

------------------------------------
Posted by: Ken <wa8jxm-***@public.gmane.org>
------------------------------------
Ed autek-Wuw85uim5zDR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 16:25:16 UTC
Post by Ken wa8jxm-***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
Post by Ed autek-***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
These are 2 good places to start.
There several free or low priced books you can download and read.
That's somewhat funny....and somewhat sad. I have a bunch of books
on Linux. Rarely do they reflect what's on my machine. And, of
course, even more rarely do they reflect issues like getting unique
ham radio applications to talk to a transceiver.
"Read a book" isn't really helpful to a newcomer wanting to get a ham
application running under Linux. It is, however, a great way to
chase them back to microslop.
However, if you do know of some books that would be directly helpful
in the ham radio configuration of Linux, I'd love to hear what they
are! What books discuss USB serial port enumeration and how to
associate that with what ham apps are looking for?
Ken WA8JXM
I would start here::

https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-help/index.html

http://itsfoss.com/5-free-ubuntu-books-for-beginners/

Of course there is always the fldigi help and the fldigi wiki. Both of
these explain in detail what is needed to install fldigi.

Ed W3NR

------------------------------------
Posted by: Ed <autek-***@public.gmane.org>
------------------------------------
Sam Morgan k5oai.sam-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 17:24:19 UTC
yes indeed "somewhat funny and somewhat sad"
Post by Ken wa8jxm-***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
Post by Ed autek-***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
These are 2 good places to start.
There several free or low priced books you can download and read
to fill in and elaborate just a bit on the pertinent snipped parts of
ED's email that Ken selectively quoted:

<quoting ED's original post>
https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/
http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/html/index.html
These are 2 good places to start.
</quote>

those 2 links ED posted address the "newcomer wanting to get a ham
application running under Linux." part of ED's response, which Ken
completely ignored when he decided to attack Ed's next recommendation:

<quoting from Ed's post>
There several free or low priced books you can download and read.
</quote>

=====
the 2 fldigi links
https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/
http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/html/index.html

are a wealth of info on help getting a linux ham pgm working, take the
Documentation section of https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/ :
Documentation

​Beginners' Guide
​User Manual
HOWTOs
Articles

on the HowTo's page are many items that could help...
https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO

https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Serial_Port_Setup
=====
=====
and here are some links to free books that may help:
http://www.linux-books.us/
http://www.dailyartisan.com/news/open-source-e-books-for-linux/
http://linuxaria.com/pills/cheat-sheet-collection-best
http://accc.uic.edu/service/shell-accounts
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/cmd/
http://linuxcommand.org/superman_pages.php
http://info2html.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/info2html-demo/info2html?%28grep.info.gz
http://www.digilife.be/quickreferences/indexe.html
http://www.networkingprogramming.com/1024x768/index.html
=====

/Rant ON
I know in the old days Linux Newbies (including myself) were put off by
the reoccurring RTFM (read the fine manual) replies we received.... But
in the long run they helped us become independent and learn how to fish
for ourselves, as opposed to creating helpless dependent clueless users
that have to run to others forever for answers...

guess you could paraphrase what I am trying to say is, answer their
questions, but also point them to sources where further reading would
help the newbie learn the why's of the answer
/RANT OFF

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan
linux the lifetime learning experience

Posted by: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam-***@public.gmane.org>
------------------------------------
KI7MT ki7mt-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 19:07:15 UTC
Just for some background information, one does not "need to "buy" books,
though they great references. There is plenty of online information
available. Each *Nix distro can be a bit different, but the fundamentals
should be close for most of them.

TLDP background info:
Main Page: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
Chap-10: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-10.html

In your *Nix terminal, try typing: man setserial
Lots of good stuff there.

Minicom General Info:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/modem-minicom.html

Minicom (this is for SBC's but good info):
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/connect-soekris-single-board-computer-using-minicom.html

There are literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of Serial-How-To info
sites that are Free :-)

Just food for thought.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

Posted by: KI7MT <ki7mt-/***@public.gmane.org>
------------------------------------
Larry Levesque ka1vgm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 14:36:48 UTC
Google is your friend here.

But....
Actual hardware serial ports on your PC should show up as "devices"
The Linux OS handles devices as actual files.

These files are stored in the /dev directory.

So if you navigate to the /dev directory you should see some devices
with the name of:
*ttyS0*
*ttyS1 ****
**ttyS2
etc....
*ttyS0 is equal to COM1
ttyS0 is equal to COM2
etc....

If you are using USB to Serial adapters, these would be listed as:
*ttyUSB0**
**ttyUSB1**
**ttyUSB2**
**etc....

*First you need to do a couple of things:

Add your user to the "dialout" group in Linux (google or search this list)
Remove the modem-manager program (unless you are 100% sure you need it -
very rarely used)
Log out of your session and back in (or if you want to feel more like
Windows, you could always reboot)

*
*
Larry Levesque*
wa4rg-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 16:50:08 UTC
I may have part of the answer to my questions, I've been doing a lot of reading. If I understand what I have read the Linux equivalent to COM1 is ttyS0.
Steve K0STK k0stk-WYrOkVUspZo@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-04 17:30:45 UTC
Post by wa4rg-/***@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
I may have part of the answer to my questions, I've been doing a lot of
reading. If I understand what I have read the Linux equivalent to COM1
is ttyS0.
The ttyS* devices are usually the hardware serial ports which used to be
found on motherboards and on expansion cards. And Linux names its serial
ports using the UNIX tradition of starting with zero. So /dev/ttyS0
would be the same as COM1.

USB serial ports have a different basename: ttyUSB. So the first USB
serial port in a system is /dev/ttyUSB0.

As was mentioned in another post to this thread you may see other tty*
names.

------------------------------------
wa4rg-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-05 00:39:29 UTC
Thankyou to all that have responded. I have not yet addd myself to the dialout group but I'm optomistic this will resolve things. When I got home today I confirmed that the settings are identical within fldigi running under xp and linux. I had indeed selected the linux equivelent of com1 but no keying under linux.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
wa4rg-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-05 00:43:56 UTC
Thank you to all that have responded....I have so much to learn.
'D.J.J. Ring, Jr.' n1ea-WYrOkVUspZo@public.gmane.org [linuxham]
2014-09-05 01:29:28 UTC
Many people just assume too much. I remember people telling me RTFM Read
The F*ing Manual, only to not eneb know what manual.

The command for manual is "man".

man chmod

Gives chmod manual.

The trick in man is to understand syntax of commands. Switches -l can be
combined by adding more letters.

ls -l /dev/tty* | less

Will tell you owner, group other has read, write, eXecute permissions on
the tty.

You can change by giving chmod command as root or supervisor.

Linux isn't as consistant as it could be, with chmod u is owner, g is
group, o is other.

There is a live CD that has fldigi already set up.

Once your COM ports are working, Linux is very dependable.

Once you can find the errors and old info in google searches, you are the
right track.

Don't let the dogs bite you.

David
N1EA